Dec 4, 2009

Unique Portfolio Marketing Technique


9th Annual Photo Contest, New Mexico Magazine, Ship_Rock, Winner, Landscape

The 1st Annual New Mexico Photographic Art Show (ANMPAS) kicks off this evening with an Art Crawl at Fine Arts Building, New Mexico State Fair, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Saturday afternoon, there's a Reception and Open House!
What's that got to do with this iPod Touch image?

Lightroom 3 beta
LR3b has a fascinating new capability; you can make videos!
I thought, "Why not create a video of my portfolio to show people on the laptop?"
So I hustled around, found or created the proper images, and launched into Video land... I've never made a video before so I had to learn just the rudiments of that process. I have been using PowerPoint for many years. So, I basically constructed a slideshow of my portfolio in LR3b, then converted it to video.
But it's a little awkward to try to show your portfolio on a laptop with all its attendant set up and presentation requirements...

Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation
I thought, "What's a smaller, more attractive way to show my video portfolio?"
On Black Friday, pure pandemonium reigned when I went into the Apple store at the new mall in Uptown. Now, sudden sounds really annoy me! I've been there about three minutes, when a five-year-old set off the burglar alarm on one of the iPods. Imagine a loud, imperiously shrieking klaxon; and yes, she was deeply mortified!
As I picked up my first Touch, the salesman said this happens three or four times an hour. Sure enough, wasn't long...

The Touch plays music, videos, podcasts, and movies. When I got home, I had to learn how to use iTunes version 9.0.2 to sync my new Touch video portfolio.
I just received word Ship Rock was Winner, Landscape Category of 9th Annual Photo Contest from New Mexico Magazine. When notification came in the mail, it included the certificate shown above.

Technocrati
For those of you unfamiliar with the iPod Touch we took a single, hand-held frame capture taken from the Touch. In other words, I used my camera, shot a frame of the certificate while the video was playing, and present it to you as a tickler for marketing and communication. Figuring I might have a three minute attention span from a delighted client, I tailored the rest of video like a PowerPoint slideshow.
I haven't figured out how to put the video portfolio on YouTube yet; stay tuned...
So now, I have the little portable portfolio on my Touch as a video, a DVD backup to hand clients, and a laptop presentation for those who want more exposure!

And yes, I'm now creating videos, listening to professional photographers podcasts, and constantly learning new technology ~ all on my pocket PDA a.k.a. iPod Touch! I'm getting a sense of adventures and photography shooting style of shooters like David duChemin, Chase Jarvis, Guy Tal, Darwin Wigget, Scott Bourne, and many, many more.
Thanks, Touch! You make me feel like all those insanely obsessed music-hungry teenagers...
Howah!!! (Theme word from Scent of a Woman)

No comments: