Nov 25, 2009

RTM ~ Stupid!!!


Mapsource, Ship_Rock

I had a math teacher long ago who said, “RTP (Read the Problem)!” He was referring to nerves; some of us blew up on tests. In particular, he would knock 10 points off if you misspelled YOUR name…
Well, I got by that one.
Then I wanted to become a geologist. Maps are big for geologists; they told me where I was in the wilds before GPS. So, I learned to read maps.
Thought I was by that one as well…

This week I got a letter from New Mexico Magazine. An award certificate said I Won the Landscape Category for their 9th Annual Photo Contest. Huzzah!
As I gazed in admiration at the certificate, I noticed a small blip – they spelled the title of my winning image Ship Rock. I thought, “Idiota…!” I submitted Shiprock for that marvelous image’s name…

This map is an inset from Mapsource of the western US. It’s based on US Geological Survey place names. I pulled up northern New Mexico and asked it who was the idiot; me or NM Mag?
Clearly, the map said, “RTM (Read the Map) ~ Stupid!!!”

Well, I’ve corrected hundreds of spelling errors on the laptop. Here’s one more - a public confession…

Ship_Rock, 3AEB, HDR, Winner, Landscapes, New Mexico Magazine, 9th Annual Photo Contest


And just to drive the old stake through my old heart…

BAH, Humbug!

No comments: