Dec 20, 2009

At Rest by Don Bartram


ANMPAS, At Rest, Don Bartram

While on a trip to the coast of Maine during the summer of 1996 my wife and I spent a week on an old coastal schooner The "Grace Bailey" out of Camden.

This schooner had been built in 1882 and used to move coal and lumber along the east coast. It was restored in 1990 and had cabins for 29 passengers added. The stove in the kitchen was a large old fashioned wood stove like my grandparents used. All schooner power (including room lights) was supplied by a 12v marine battery. The schooner in this picture is the "J&E Riggen" and is quite similar to ours.

One morning while anchored off an island in Penobscot Bay I woke up fairly early and climbed the ladder to the deck. What I saw is depicted in the photo At Rest. The water was very still and the fog was everywhere. As you can see there is no horizon at all ~ the image just floats. I will admit I almost fell going back down to get my camera gear. I spent the next 25 minutes taking lots of pictures. This one is one of my favorites, and has done well at several shows and fairs.

Editor's Note on At Rest
When I first saw At Rest, part of me objected to centering the shot. But it was not one of those pictures I could pull my eye away from. I looked again; what did I like in the composition this time? I looked once more. I was totally struck by the fact that I could not see where the water ended...
Don Bartram is a master at understated photography. I think you'll like his description of how it came about.
Don, I'm really glad you didn't fall back down the howse hole...

ANMPAS
As we noted December 8th, the First Annual New Mexico Photographic Art Show is under way. It runs through December 27th, so go down and take a look!
We're going to present five fine art photographers – Don Bartram, David Cramer, Peter Davies, Keith Bauer, and Joe Bridwell - to showcase ANMPAS. Joe's entry is in the prior blog about ANMPAS.
David, Peter, and Keith will be in succeeding blogs.

Well done, Everybody...

No comments: