Dec 20, 2009

Moulton Barn Morning - Keith Bauer


ANMPAS, Moulton Barn, Keith Bauer

Photographing in Grand Teton National Park is one of those experiences in life that every photographer should do. The incredible mountain range is one of the most spectacular ranges in the world. Of course that’s only one of the attractions from this magnificent place.

The “Moulton” barn(s) on Mormon Row are some of the most photographed icons in the west. This shot is of the barn which is less well known than it’s more famous cousin just a few hundred yards to the south. While these iconic barns have been photographed millions of times, I wanted to create my own image. Scouting the location the day before provided a mental model of what I might try to capture. The incredible backdrop of the Grand Teton range with morning light glowing in the background conjured up images in my head that I knew would someday create a print I’d be happy to hang on my walls.

Grand Teton Peak is the tallest of the peaks in the range standing at 13,770 feet. Not surprisingly, that peak and it’s cousins in the range are often shrouded in clouds. Much to my chagrin that cool September morning the clouds were there and the magnificent background for the image was nowhere to be seen. Clouds in the east also didn’t look promising. What to do..... Wait and see was the decision I made. As a small slit in the east allowed the warm morning light to rake across the valley, the barn and the foreground lit up. I was rewarded for my decision to wait. A few quick meter readings and I was capturing the image that stood in front of me. I knew while shooting this image that I’d be looking at a panoramic crop. While the blue hues in the sky were beautiful, they were not to be the focus of the image. The light on the foreground grasses, the barn and the gift of a white cloud hovering low were to be the focus of this image.

As with most of my images, this image came home, sat in my Lightroom library to age before I tackled trying to create the final product I eventually printed. None of my images match the experience that I enjoy when I’m out with my camera. That’s why they age before meeting the paper they are printed on. If I were to keep the images that really match the experience of “being there”, my library would be empty. So, I allow them to age, allow my emotions to age, and eventually create a print that’s a good as I can to remember the moment.

Editor's Note on Moulton Barn Morning
Like the other guys, Keith is one who 'Chases the Light...'

This nearly dawn shot doesn't show the luminance of the Tetons, masked by shadow. It does show Keith's persistence and coordinated sense of color and composition.
Notice how he preplanned the shot, then let light fall where it could.
I like the idea of letting one's emotion and the shot age…

No comments: