Jul 1, 2009

Ruby Strewn Fields

Ancient Family, Surreal, hoodoo, Bisti Badlands, Farmington, NM, bisti, mars, Bisti Adventure Tours

Ancient Stone Family
©Joe Bridwell
The Bisti Badlands is a hidden desert jewel to delight kids or grandkids - dinosaur bones and petrified logs from ancient rainforests add inimitable mystique.
It's the land which truly delights a child's creative imagination...

Bisti Badlands
Rolling across High Country desert in the southwestern US, this land's blandness ill prepares you for secret, perpetual delight of secluded byways and enchanting hoodoos. But you're curious - somewhere, ethereal, surreal shapes of hoodoos captivate in these Badlands. Your imagination finds it hard to conjure such delightful images in such a featureless desert.

I Like Kids
In the Bisti, we have about the same maturity level – limited only by our fertile imaginations.
"What's a hoodoo?" My granddaughter is always curious.
"It's a piece of hard sandstone sitting on top of softer clay." Keep it simple, Grandpa!
"Who made it?"
"I believe God did."

Mother and Child
"How did He make a hoodoo?"
"He created thunderstorms whose walls of rushing water cut away soft clays like a knife, leaving hard sandstone caps!"
"How old is a hoodoo?"
"They began about 10,000 years ago." At nine, her face screwed up over 10,000.
So I said, "They've been here a long, long time..."
Then I asked, "Does this hoodoo remind you of anything?"
And Pandora's box, ever present in a young creative spirit, sprang forth from her vivid child's imagination…
"I see a Mama... then I see a Baby. Their noses almost touch." She pointed to the two rocks at the top of the picture.
"I love your imagination... what else do you see?"
"I see a nearby head pointing to the right. But I can't tell what kind of animals they are."
"Nor can I." We had been to the museum, but did not think like this then.
"It's quite neat to see reddish-brown rocks which lie on the ground outlining this family - it's almost like a rug of strewn rubies. Did you notice that color?"
"Oh, yes, I did. Those red rocks make a nice backyard. I love exploring with you!"

If I think in today's terms, the animals might be otters and turtles. But if I want to go back 65 million years, I have to go to a museum to see what animals were like then.
Perhaps, in one of the displays, I'll find some animals who lived then, yet, thru hoodoos, enhance our imagination now.

I now think of the Bisti as
Time's Capsule ~ Travel's Twist™
Enjoy...

No comments: