Jul 25, 2009

"I'm Back", said the Laptop!


I'm Back, Laptop, Virus, Windows Reinstall, Photoshop Reinstall
My laptop's desktop contains one of the most enchantingly beloved pictures I've ever shot...
Can you imagine the sense of pleasure seeing this desktop, knowing for the prior 8 days I really didn't have a machine?

After the Trojan Horse...
"By the seventh day, God had finished the work he'd been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work."
Genesis 2:2
What was God doing? Creating our universe...

Well, re-creating this high tech complex computer universe took me 8 days. So I guess it's pretty obvious ~ I'm not God!

On the other hand, this was my first time to try and rebuild a laptop. Under Larry Stroup's excellent tutelage, the project limped or galloped along.
Reinstall Windows, reinstall most drivers, reinstall Office, reinstall Dragon NaturallySpeaking - upgrade Windows and Office repeatedly; Phase I. Repeatedly check for Trojan horses until none appeared after several virus scans with the very latest AVG virus database; Phase II. Reinstall Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4, and Lightroom 2.4 - upgrade and install Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 where needed; Phase III. Refine registry and defrag; Phase IV. Defrag the hard drive, collecting fragmented files, then compacting files; Phase V. Set up Windows Restore to provide fallback Registry backups should the sad occasion of a virus ever arise again; Phase VI.
I know - the last paragraph is a lot of technical gobbledygook.
But, I have finally re-created my own much smaller universe...

Bite the Bullet - II
What's your take away?
1. Use a firewall.
2. Download virus database updates daily.
3. Frequently scan hard drive for viruses.
a. Set your virus software to scan when you have other regularly scheduled appointments.
4. Don't let your habits allow a virus.
a. If you can't perform these technical steps,
b. If you haven't backed up your hard drive on a regular basis,
c. ... You're going to be in a world of hurt!
d. Worst case; buying a new computer and starting over from scratch!

An extended log of this process can be found here.
Thanks, Larry... enjoy the Seychelles!
Enjoy...

No comments: