Jul 26, 2009

July 18th Photo Walk II


Our Lady of Fatima, Old Town, Albuquerque, 2nd Worldwide Photo Walk
Our Lady of Fatima
©Joe Bridwell
A lovely statue at the SE corner of San Felipe de Neri church on Old Town Square in Albuquerque. While I didn't discover them until processing the image, I love the deeply peaceful aspect of doves at her feet!

Photo Walk II
Some ~900 cities across the Planet hosted 32600+ photographers on Scott Kelby’s 2nd Annual Worldwide Photo Walk. I took about 35 images – I talked to a guy who took 525…
Photo Walkers were given a week to upload 2 images for the competition. I'm including miniatures from my top Photo Walk choices in this blog.
I've been to Old Town many times. I found myself not so much interested in new things to shoot as in watching what other accomplished photographers found exciting to shoot.
And yes, there is an immense history in this hallowed area of Albuquerque. Old Town was established in 1703. The present San Felipe de Neri church was built in 1793; their parish has existed for nearly 300 years. Just being able to freely walk and shoot in an area between 200 and 300 years old is an extreme privilege and honor. All this, even if our Lady of Fatima did not have such a wonderfully peaceful look as she offers eternal prayer...

52 Pontiac Chieftain, Old Town, Albuquerque, 2nd Worldwide Photo Walk
'52 Pontiac Chieftain
© Joe Bridwell
At first, I was only aware of the old Pontiac. I walked around it, took several shots, got permission to open the door and shoot the dash…
but I kept coming back to the symbology of sharp, colorful hood ornament outlined against blurred Old Town's Albuquerque sign.

Albuquerque’s Old Town Photo Walk
This image took me back to boyhood; only a few years after this car was built, I got my first car. It was a black '38 Buick Coupé from my grandmother with a floor stick shift.
Although I took many shots of this well restored old Pontiac, as I was reviewing in Lightroom, I realized the Chief’s ruggedly chiseled features might charm everyone as much as they fascinated me.
As I worked on the photo, all subtle reflections of brightly lit trees on green hood simply added mystique.
I found it truly delightful that, in one image, I could recall my grandmother, symbolize 300 years of regional history, subtly make note of traditional Albuquerque, yet encapsulate the 2nd Annual Worldwide Photo Walk in Albuquerque's stylish Old Town...
You can see Our Lady of Fatima here and 52 Pontiac Chieftain here.
Enjoy...

No comments: