Apr 25, 2009

Waves - Ancestral Oil Painting


Waves, oil painting, 1950s, Anno Bridwell

Waves
©Anno Bridwell

Art is in my genes...
this compelling image is from an oil painting my mother created in the 1950s.  It sat in our den on an easel when I was a boy.  The backing is poster board. 
Now some 60 years old, it could be cleaned, framed, and become an heirloom for future generations.
Nevertheless, Waves was a complex, passionate introduction to art for a young boy ... and naturally, there are other companions to Waves on my walls which now act as deeply memorable Windows to the Past!

Oil Painting
A brush, oils, a canvas, and easel, and an idea... coupled with talent, all could allow creativity, memories, and heirlooms.

Fine Art Photography
A camera, software (Lightroom and Photoshop), and a vision... coupled with inspiration, all can foster creativity, memories, even future heirlooms.

Combining Art and Photography
As I reflect on this and other windows into the past, I'm acutely conscious I couldn't understand the complexity of artistic talent my mother exhibited.  When I first began taking pictures with a digital camera years later, I really wasn't conscious of the magical effect light plays in great photographs.  When I finally began using Photoshop (CS2), I wasn't conscious of how masks can enhance the magical effect light plays.  As I recently began taking high dynamic range (HDR) images, I realized there is a larger range of light at dawn and dusk than in a camera can capture as one photo.  After a while, it became clearly apparent - subtle tone mapping of such an incredible color range from several images can create a most pleasing piece of art.
In Photoshop, Adobe has masterfully provided a remarkable variety of digital darkroom tools for enhancement of multiple HDR images to fine art photography.  Merged HDR, local adaptation, tone curves, masking tools, adjustment brushes, print - if your objective is fine art photography - these terms are synonymous with brush, oil, palette, and painting.  Matter of fact, if you're creative, the photograph is just the beginning.  It's skilled application of any of these tools which helps you reach your vision of what that photograph can be as a fine art piece.


Anasazi Moon, composite, compositing, retouch, retouching, Bisti Badlands, Members Choice, ELCC

Anasazi Moon
©Joe Bridwell

My first effort at digital compositing used Blending Options sliders in CS3.  I was very pleased to place the moon behind Magic Hour's natural pastel sunset at the Bisti.  It was found worthy of a Member's Choice award at ELCC.

Windows to the Future
Although there are quite a few terms and techniques to be learned as you progress to creation of fine art, I am just beginning to be able to see cogent examples of multilayered masking, channel, and path activities which take the initial capture or the composite HDR, and carefully - like the stroke of an oil painters brush - mask this, sharpen that, change a Hue on another to create fine art.

In this time of great financial discord, one way to search for happiness is to pursue an upward Adobe path to fine art creation.  Although presently I just perceive the tip of this exotic iceberg, there are several inspiring sources from which I learn, draw strength, and gain hope.
Complete Picture-Episode 10 - Julianne Kost    Excellent Video
HDR in CS4 – John Doogan    Excellent Video
Ultimate Workshop - Evening and Schewe    Good Book

Artistic Heritage
Hour upon hour, Anno would stand before the easel mixing colors, carefully stroking with the brush, working the textures, creating art… All those years ago, I had no idea that one day, I too, after a career in science and computers, would become mesmerized by using brushes to mix colors, sharpen textures, and create fine art from digital photography.
But, evocative subtleties of some pieces of digital fine art I've seen simply take my breath away.
Learning Photoshop at this advanced level does take some patience.  But, then, so did raising a couple of boys while creating fine oil paintings...
In really difficult times like these, it's a great pleasure to continue a family tradition and learn new things!
Enjoy...

No comments: