Apr 3, 2009

BooBoo – Amazon, CS4, and Adobe – Upgrade Hell

Flat Earth, CS4 upgrade, Amazon, Adobe

Adobe Screen – Serial Number Partially Redacted

Registration Tribulations
After receiving a CS4 Upgrade from Amazon and installing on my laptop, yesterday was the day to get on a spinning Flat Earth merry-go-round.  Adobe sent me an “All’s well registration note…”
When I tried to install on desktop, Adobe belched – “Sorry, you’ve got the wrong serial number… it’s on other machines.”
A call to Adobe _India_(non-specific overseas call response arena) asked, “I got this ‘new’ CS4 upgrade from Amazon.  You tell me it was on other computers before I tried to install it on my desktop.  I’ve only tried to install it on just my 2 computers.
Nevertheless, Adobe _India_ yielded this rather non-specific advice, “Contact Amazon…”

I Asked Amazon, “Does Amazon sell software which is used?  How do I make sure I have an original copy?”
I left a number for Amazon – no return call.  I wrote an email at 1630 – more about that later.
Last night, I talked to a number of folks at Enchanted Lens Camera Club – there was a common dread of overseas help calls!  But, no one had this particular problem.
This morning, I got in early, opened up Amazon’s Recent Orders, expecting to begin the laborious direct contact problem once again… and devoting another day to _India_ in its solution.

Here’s What I Found…
Amazon (be they machine or human) read my email yesterday, then promptly sent me ANOTHER CS4 upgrade – thankfully, at no charge.  It’s due Wednesday next.

Friedman’s ‘Flat Earth…’
The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century is an international bestselling book by Thomas L. Friedman that analyzes globalization, primarily early 21st century. The title is a metaphor for viewing the world as a level playing field for commerce, where all competitors have an equal opportunity. The title alludes to a perceptual shift required for countries, companies, and individuals to remain competitive in a global market where historical and geographical divisions are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Automaton - One that behaves or responds in a mechanical way. Latin, self-operating machine.
Recalling “Does Amazon sell software which is used?  How do I make sure I have an original copy?”  I wonder about the seeming ‘automaton’ Amazon response?
By promptly sending me another copy, by not directly answering either of those questions, is Amazon seeming to shunt aside the relevance of Adobe’s statement “It was registered on several machines” or “Do you sell used software?”
Clearly, without direct human intervention with me – either by phone or email – do I yet have conclusive answer to either question?

BTW
Can’t continue this Flat Earth saga until the next round, next week…

Enjoy?  Guess I don’t…

No comments: