Sep 5, 2009

Sand Dune – by Bob Barton


Sand Dune, Bob Barton, 2009 New Mexico Sate Fair, Scenic Class Winners, Professional Category

Sand Dune
© Bob Barton
3rd Place
Scenic Class Award
Professional Category
2009 New Mexico State Fair

It was a lovely early August morning; we were eastbound on U. S. Highway 50 in central Nevada. We were discussing how straight the highway was, mile after mile, not even a wiggle. We had not met another car for about an hour. Why had they built a good paved road that no-one wanted to travel? Booooring!

Then in the distance, the sun reflected from something, something that appeared to be white with shadows. As we got closer the “white thing” presented itself as a sand dune. Excitement took hold of me. “How can I get closer?” “Where is a gate?” “I have to get there before the shadows go away.” I was seeing a black and white image with the dune glowing in the morning light when the gate finally appeared in the distance. I turned into the park area and drove, entirely too fast, to a parking area, grabbed the camera gear and took off for the far end of the dune.

I was able to click off five or six frames before the sun got too high for good shadows. I was certain there would be at least one frame that would yield a good print. With images in the camera, I could finally relax and felt I had been productive for the day.

When we got home, I processed the “Raw” file in Photoshop CS3 and produced a good color image which was converted to black and white. I found the contrast slider to be very important in making the dune seem to “glow” in the final print.

The final print has drawn considerable attention in two shows.

The dune is known as “Sand Mountain” and is located east of Fallon Naval Air Station, NV, on Highway 50.

Editor’s Comments
In the next few blogs, 3 remaining award-winners of Scenic Class, Professional Category, 2009 New Mexico State Fair present their feelings about taking the image and technical aspects of digital processing…

Our second image is Sand Dune by Bob Barton. I like Bob’s excitement– “I was seeing a black and white image with the dune glowing in the morning light…”
Thanks, Bob… Well DONE!

Enjoy…

No comments: