Sep 3, 2009

Orange Creekside – by Jim Gale


Orange Creekside, Jim Gale, 2009 New Mexico Sate Fair, Scenic Class Winners, Professional Category

Orange Creekside
© Jim Gale
Honorable Mention
Scenic Class Award
Professional Category
2009 New Mexico State Fair

The image of “Orange Creekside” was taken in the Nelson Lakes region of New Zealand on a 5 day backpack trip across the high peaks and lakes. These orange lichen covered rocks were found off-trail while exploring the area near camp. The initial photos I took that evening were fine, but when I returned in the morning, the fog created an atmosphere of remoteness I was feeling, while increasing the saturation of all the colors. I photographed about 20 different compositions in the 30 minutes before the fog cleared. In the end there were 3 to 4 compositions that I felt might fit the judging style of the State Fair (the 100 point system that favors the old photography dogmas and conformity over creativity; see my comment at the end). The image I finally selected had a pleasing flow with the placement of rocks, flowers, forest and creek along with great light in the fog and enough space around all these elements to really give the scene a sense of being an unusual, hidden place.

The photo was taken on a Nikon D90 and Nikkor 12-24 lens. To quickly explore many compositions in a limited time and rapidly respond to continually changing light, I left my tripod on my pack and worked hand-held. As is my style, I used Photoshop very sparingly to attempt to replicate the true colors and lighting I saw that day.

For me Photography and Nature are deeply intertwined. In the great outdoors I find peace, renewal and spirituality. While the photographer in me drives me to continually discover and explore new beautiful places at their best times of year and motivates me to be up before sunrise and shoot till well after dark. Essentially, photography enriches and expands my outdoor experience. The more remote the wilderness and off-trail I explore the better. You will rarely see me in those iconic places overrun by photographers. Really, what’s the point of shooting another photo of a subject already photographed a million times before. I figure that the vast majority of photos are taken within a mile of their car. By going deeper into the wilderness and exploring off-trail, I find places seldom seen or photographed, like the image presented here.

Since I mentioned the State Fair judging, I would like air a gripe I have had with judging there for some time. Although I was not there this time for the judging, in the past I have seen judges regularly critique the professional images like they were amateurs needing their wise guidance. I believe a good judge of professional work should start with the assumption that every single element of the photograph was placed there on purpose and is specifically part of that photographer’s vision. It is not for the judges to try to remake the photo in their style, tell us how they would do it, or try to make it conform to some “rules” about composition; but to truly accept that this image is EXACTLY how this photographer wanted the image to appear in EVERY detail and judge it from that perspective.

Editor’s Comments
In the next few blogs, 3 remaining award-winners of Scenic Class, Professional Category, 2009 New Mexico State Fair present their feelings about taking the image and technical aspects of digital processing…

Our second image is Orange Creekside by Jim Gale. I like Jim’s sentiment – find the spot, then wait for the light…
Thanks, Jim… Well DONE!

Enjoy…

No comments: