May 2, 2009

Nature Calls...


Spring Shoot - Escalante - 2009

Albuquerque's February and March were cold.  Library time, wistfully looking at landscape photography shot with a 4 x 5, thinking/worrying about ‘too cold’ spring camping trips and exotic digital photography...
"What if I could get a truly stunning shot of the second largest arch on the planet?"  "What's the nighttime chill factor going to be in a windy tent?"  Or, "I'm tired of all this seemingly never ending planning; when can I just hit the road?"
Well, amidst all that I've been reading Tom Till, an internationally recognized landscape photographer.  Let me quote a provocative piece he wrote recently, "I rely on a forecast, leave before the storm begins, wait for the storm to hit a lull or end, find a gorgeous landscape, and begin shooting. I then drive home when the roads have dried."

So here it is, Saturday morning in Albuquerque with Escalante, Utah, a provocative shooting target.  And a day of rainy driving to Page, Arizona.  But... Saturday heavy rain at the shooting point.  Looks like it will be clear by early evening.
Looks like Sunday Dawn is earliest shooting chance for fog in high mountains around Escalante.  Maybe that's not so bad, it's nearly 500 miles to Escalante on paved road.  Had planned to shoot an area of Cottonwood Canyon near Paria, but know better than starting up a gumbo clay road in or just after a big rainstorm.  By mid-afternoon Tuesday, those gumbo roads will be hard baked clay again.  So I can get into the areas I'm really shooting for down in the Escalante.

I'm approaching this trip with the strong desire to shoot when the light is right.  I'm aware one may not get the first shot on the first try; luck, patience, and great light make a huge difference.

So, in that departing spirit, I know where I want to go.  I even know when to leave here; I just don't know where I'm going to be when ~ as the title suggests, "Not only does Nature Call; Mother Nature has control!  Perhaps you might call this highly anticipated trip The Call of the Wild…"

A lot of this country doesn't have wireless, so I won't have e-mail.  I will be trying to contact family members periodically with a cell phone, but I don't know local, probably meager cell coverage.  Oh, did I mention ~ Till has a four-wheel-drive.
But, it's time to get out, get active, get some incredible shots, and rejuvenate...

No comments: