Mar 31, 2009

Pushin’ the Envelope…

Lightroom 2, CS4, Photoshop, Mapsource, Google Earth, red rock country, arches

Training Route and Climb

Navajo Angel
Several years ago, I high centered a car in a sand patch then, dumbly, dug it in till there was no way it would move.  About four clock with late fall temperatures due to drop 15° in three hours, I really needed help.
I hadn't seen a house for miles.  When I got to the main road, I decided to go downhill - betting on chance.  In a few miles, I met a Navajo walking with a dog.  Rather, perhaps I should say _hobbling - he was club footed...
Long story short; he led me to a four-wheel-drive and they pulled me out before sundown!

If You Have Faith the Size of a Mustard Seed...
I've got a spring shoot planned in Arches Red Rock country.  One particular shoot is going to require a rather late afternoon shoot, then coming out just before dark.  That's the good news; the bad - at the end of a 4 mile hike under pack, there’s a 200 foot climb and sand.
In worrying at the perceived difficulty, I erred - thinking like a flatlander.  I wondered about an arch sunset shot; but how was I going to get back in the dark and make that hard climb?  In a recent benevolence, I inherited a Garmin GPS unit which would let me see a 'track' at night.  So at least I can see where to go to get out.  Then I tried to use it near the Sandias - to find out it could have a 300 foot error.  Besides, I was going to be deep in a canyon.  Still, there was that after dark climb out...
Then I realized, canyon walls were going to just shadow the arch for a more dramatic image before sunset.  So, I perhaps could get back to the climb before dark and still see.  Enter GPS technology...
The most recent version of Google Earth, tightly integrated with Garmin topography maps, has a new feature 'Show Sunlight across Terrain'.  In effect, software will show me a rough guess at where shadows are as the Sun goes down behind high canyon wall cliffs.
Now, I know how to guess when to shoot, what the Sun angle is going to be, and how much time is left before sunset.

So, What's the Big Deal?
Training for this trek means leaving the house, walking to the base of the Sandias, and coming home.  Total hiking distance - about the same between training and spring shoot.  Total relief - about the same.  And, the training route is paved...
But, when I actually took another look at a local route I worked a year ago I realized, "You can leave your house, climb to the base of the Sandias, and come back home.  Your local hike is about the same length as your planned hike.  Best of all - the last part of that training climb is within a few feet of climbing out of the Canyon near days end!"
Now, just ask for 'Vasque’ safety - a delightful new pair of hiking boots and a steady foot during the climb!

And Now, the Rest of the Story...
... about the mustard seed goes this way - Jesus said,
"If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'move from here to there' and it will move.  Nothing is impossible for you!"  Matthew 17:20

Between an ancient Navajo Angel and a mustard seed, this thing's going to happen... but, I've got some difficult training ahead!  At the very least, it is quite clear ~ faith and perseverance are key.
Enjoy...

No comments: